Friday, June 29, 2007

With The 25th Pick...



Good Evening Jazz Fans, tonight I am joining you from the comfort of my living room, where I and my four year old daughter will be taking the draft in together. Normally, the crew would be gathered at the ESA for this, sipping on our free Coke and enjoying the free dogs from Larry H. and company. Tonight is going to be a special night, I am keeping a running diary of everything that transpires (Yes, this is a blatant rip off of Bill Simmons, and he’ll likely have one of these as well), but at least mine will talk about the Jazz pick instead of just blowing over it. FYI, I may have to audible at some point, not sure my little princess is going to last, good thing the DVR is running.

Get ready for an exciting night. Rumors have been swirling for weeks that we may experience some big trades tonight. Could Garnett be leaving Minnesota, will Kobe begin packing his bags, will Danny Ainge surpass Isiah as the worse GM? All of this will be solved in the next three and a half hours.

5:30 – The commish welcomes us to the draft and immediately reminds us that the WNBA still exists. He should let Isiah have a crack at it. The best part of the draft is the Garden fans; I wish ESPN would capture a little more audio from the crowd. Especially when the Bulls pick comes around.

5:32 – Portland is on the clock. I wonder what they are going to do. Does anyone else get the ominous feeling that the Oden/Durant situation is going to turn out like the ’84 draft? Only instead of Sam Bowie they are drafting Hakeem. The Dream was great, but wouldn’t you always want Jordan instead?

5:35 – With the 1st pick Portland takes Oden, no real surprise here. GM 101 tells you that you have to take a big; but I think they have really messed up here. As Oden walks to the stage ESPN flashes to Durant who gives the “I’m going to crush your team for the next 15 years look”. Kevin Pritchard described Durant as a Predator, and Oden as a Caretaker; wouldn’t you rather have a Predator?

By the way I’m pretty sure that Jay Bilas wants to marry Oden right now. His voice just went up an octave when he was talking about him. Good time to mention our crew tonight. Mike Tirico, Mark (I’m Better than Stockton) Jackson, Steven A. Smith (Ugh), and Jay Bilas. Seriously could they not bring in Chad Ford the guy who scouts every one of these players for the website? At least I can stand him.

5:36 – Sonics on the clock, couldn’t Stern have just stayed at the Podium. Do we really need him to walk back and wait five minutes?

Steven A. showing his man crush on Oden as well ends his love fest with Oden with this gem “Can’t teach tall”. Thanks Steven A.

Still waiting for the Durant pick, meanwhile Oden is telling us about how O.State taught him everything he needed. Wow I’ve been to six years of college and still am pretty sure that I don’t know everything. Of course, in Oden’s case all he needs to know at this point is how to sign his name on the back of the pay check.

5:40 – Forgot to mention that Stuart Scott is doing our after handshake interviews. Makes a nice crack about Greg Oden lying about his age. I still don’t understand why they would think these guys would lie about their age; how are they going to get into strip joints if they have to pretend to be 19.

5:41 – Bill Simmons of ESPN officially pronounced dead. Ric Bucher reporting that Seattle has traded Ray Allen to Boston for the #5, Wally Szczerbiak, and Delonte West. I don’t have words to explain how bad this trade is. It’s official within 11 minutes of the draft beginning Danny Ainge has taken the torch from Isiah and become the leagues worst GM. What is he thinking? Two shooters, who play the same position; that sounds like a winning combination!!! The argument will be made that one or the other can play the three, but Pierce sucks as a three; he’s much better at a 2; and there’s no way Allen can play the three.

Danny must have really been in a panic that Pierce was going to leave to make that trade.
What is up with the East? Do they realize they are building teams with players that play the exact same position? Isiah and his combo guard Knicks and now the Celtics with two guards.

5:41 (part deux) – Kevin Durant is taken by the Sonics. Five minutes to be told something we already knew. Seriously the first round needs to be sped up, I don’t care about Stuart Scott and companies take after every pick.

5:42 – Atlanta on the clock. I have to say I’m excited about this; the draft could take on a whole new direction with the Hawks on the clock.

As we wait for Atlanta we get to hear Stuart interview Kevin Durant, Scott asks him about his inability to bench 185lbs. Does that really mean anything in the long term? Could Stuart Scott bench 185lbs? I can’t believe people ever made a big deal about this. Watch some game film people; tell me whether or not he can ball.

5:47 – With the number 3 pick Atlanta takes – Al Horford. I am so giddy about this pick; we now have the Knicks fielding a team of all combo guards, the Celtics with a team of all two guards, and now the Hawks with the all Power Forward team. My vote is for Williams to play the point.

Looks like Atlanta didn’t budge on the KG derby; we’ll see if Charlotte takes the bait.

5:51 – Memphis takes Mike Conley. Somewhere Mark Jackson is wetting his pants. By the way ESPN lets us know that Steven A. felt that Memphis needed a PG and took one; I can hardly wait for his analysis.

5:55 – Conley was just interviewed by Stuart Scott, and apparently he was taught how to be a man at Ohio State. Ladies take note; Ohio State teaches courses on how to be a man; that should settle any problems women have about us guys being too childish, just send us to Ohio State. By the way, if you are already a man; you can just go there to learn everything. You’ll just need to sign up for the same freshman load as Greg Oden.

We just had an interview with Mike Conley’s dad, who apparently is the agent for both Oden and Conley. When asked what would make him such a good agent he replied that they could “trust (him)”. I see this ending really badly.

5:56 – Seattle pick done by Boston – Jeff Green
Stern cringed a little when he read that; I like to think it was thoughts about how Boston was committing suicide which caused it.

I think this is a great choice by Seattle by the way. Very gifted athlete, Bilas is telling us he needs to work on being aggressive. Not sure that will apply; he has Durant for that. If Seattle can get any of their Centers to work out, they are going to have a really nice front court one day. I’m assuming that Durant once he bulks up may slide down to the four.

During the interview we learn that Green’s nickname in college was “predator”; well the predator count is now two for Seattle zero for Portland.

6:00 – Just saw a commercial with Mikki Moore. I thought that needed some special attention, since I think he will be a Jazz Man by the end of the summer. Nice to see him getting some air time.

6:03 – Bucks take Yi – or phonetically pronounced (EEE). Pretty sure the Bucks have just caused an international incident. This has Eli Manning draft day refusals written all over it. Stay tuned folks this could get interesting.

ESPN’s foreign analyst (not sure of name) just said that Yao is old school and Yi is new school, stating Yi is “Hip-Hop” he’s “50 cent”. Stuart Scott adds that he wears Sean John, I’m sure stock in Diddy’s clothing line just went up tremendously. By the way, we just got the first mention of the tremendous upside potential during that time.

By the way Yi apparently only has three highlights, probably not a good sign for the future, but then again he dunked really well on that one guy each of the 600 times I saw it.

6:09 – Minnesota selects Corey Brewer. Great pick I think he will match KG’s intensity; that’s if KG is staying. Doesn’t help offensively; but a nice pick

Brewer is sporting the biggest smile that I have ever seen. This kid is happy to be drafted, he must know something. Maybe he is not staying in Minnesota.
Stern says something that gets a chuckle, I think it was something like this “Congratulations, welcome to the league; your going to freeze your Brewers off. Bet you wish the Suns deal goes through and you get to go too, don’t you?”

We now get Dick Vitale’s take. Guess what, he loves Corey Brewer. I just realized that Dickie V may be painting/drawing on his eyebrows. They are not natural; they arch like the Golden Arches.

6:12 – Charlotte pick, word is that Jordan is trying to move this pick. By the way Rachel Nichols is by far and away the best looking female reporter. I know there’s Erin Andrews; but for the money I think its Rachel.

6:15 – Jordan/Charlotte take Brandan Wright, a North Carolina player, imagine that. What’s that, three years in a row now that they have taken a UNC player? Does Jordan realize that Dean Smith is not there anymore?

6:20 – First Spike Lee shot of the night, got to love NY

6:22 – Bulls just selected Noah. I don’t know what to say about his look. Imagine if Side Show Bob on the Simpson’s was going to the Prom, in the seventies. That’s pretty much the look that Noah went with tonight. We just learned that Noah’s Mom is a former Miss Sweden and almost Miss Universe, and apparently lost because she had no taste in clothes. See picture above.

By the way Jay Bilas summed up the pick this way, long way to go offensively “but his motor makes up for it.” His motor? So you have a guy that can run and do nothing else. Good pick. I think Noah is the weakest of the three Gators.

6:27 – With the 10th pick Sacramento takes…Spencer Hawes, or as I wrote down Brad Miller’s very own mini-me. Does anyone else want to be a fly on the wall when Ron Artest got the news?

This was by far my favorite analysis of the night again coming from Jay Bilas “Not a great athlete, not a good rebounder, or a good shot blocker.” So you have a seven footer that doesn’t do anything a seven footer should do. By the way Steven A agrees with Jay, that right there can’t be a good sign. The Maloof brothers must be ecstatic right now.

Extra little something for the Spencer Hawes fans, apparently he likes political debate.
BUST!!!

6:32 – Steven A. Smith just went into Cardiac Arrest. He hates the Noah pick, thinks Chicago has enough high energy guys; forgets to breath and punctured a lung on his rib cage as it ran out of air. An absolute shame, that’s two ESPN guys that have died from the ’07 draft and we aren’t even to pick 11 yet.

6:33 – Atlanta takes Acie Law IV – they finally get a point guard to team with their five power forwards. Too bad for Acie, who Jay Bilas describes as a clutch player. Could there be a worse team to go to if you are a clutch player? When will that skill ever become necessary?

6:38 – Thaddeus Young to Philly, apparently Billy King tried to move up to the #6 spot; but Milwaukee was so impressed with the work out that they did not see of Yi that they refused to budge. It’s probably better this way, Don; I mean Billy King, you would have screwed things up eventually anyway.

6:43 – We see the second Kevin Durant commercial of the night. Who wants a marketable, predatory guy, that will make you millions in jersey sales anyway?

6:43 – Hornets select Julian Wright, which Dickie V tells us is a draft based on potential.
However, the good news is that he is a bowler; which will give him something to Chris Paul about. http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=12806&f=1

6:48 – ESPN is telling everyone that the Clippers need a point guard, so they choose Al Thorton of Florida State. By the way did you know that Al has a “high revving motor”? Me either, I’m so glad that Jay Bilas is with us tonight.

By the way, Al Thorton is twenty-four and still looks younger than Greg Oden. If you are twenty-four in your rookie season; I'm guessing you don't have a lot of tremendous upside potential. Probably just me.

6:53 – The Pistons have been projected to take Rodney Stuckey at this spot on every mock, and they don’t disappoint. Rodney is apparently a bad perimeter shooter, but has good defensive instincts. That’s going to hurt when they lose Mr. Big Shot. By the way Stuart Scott goes on a ten minute dialogue about how we know who Greg Oden is and Kevin Durant, and then asks, “So who is Rodney Stuckey”?

Response: “That’s me.” Thanks Rodney, must be what they mean by high basketball IQ.

Somehow my clock sped up by five minutes because I have Washington getting ready to select now. I may have had to change kid shows right here.

7:04 – Washington Wizards select Nick Young. Nick is the winner of the hot date, wife, or mom award. Noah had it for a moment, but Noah's mom apparently doesn't have as high of a motor.

Things to know about Nick Young, has a scorers mentality (ball hog), can get his own shot (won’t pass), and already has a movie about himself (ego).

Actually the movie is about him, and talks a little about his brother who apparently passed away(killed). By the way this is the second pick of the night that has had a brother killed.

Stuart Scott just informed us that this part of the draft will be added to the documentary; Stu is very happy to have a cameo in it right now.

7:06 – Hold the phone we have a trade, and it involves Isiah, imagine that.
Apparently NY has agreed to take on Zach Randolph, his giant contract, ego, and rap sheet; in exchange they will send Portland Steve Francis and Channing Frye; there is some other filler in there but who cares.

Steven A. being from NY loves the trade, as does Spike. I feel really good about this trade then.

7:09 – New Jersey takes Sean Williams from Boston College. Is he really from Boston College? He got kicked off the team and out of school for smoking too much pot, shouldn't that somehow disqualify you from being able to say you are from the college?
How much pot was he smoking you ask? Enough that the ESPN guys stated he used to smoke pot in his free time. Uh, when I was in college I had a lot of free time.

By the way, all the teams had to come to scout him in Houston, because apparently that was his "base"; or as we later learn close to his rehad support system. Normally I would say that was the weirdest part of the segment, until they hit us with the fact that John Thompson was his rehab counselor. That’s right “THE” John Thompson, as in coach John Thompson. Is he even qualified for something like that?

I'm excited for the Zach Randolph era now. Can't you just see Zach and Sean turning the NY/NJ area into a Cheech and Chong movie?

7:14 – Golden State selects – waiting for a trade for Yi right here – Marco Bellineli. Son of a … Out of everyone in the draft I really hoped the Jazz could land this kid. Good shooter, athletic, decent passer. Weak on defense but that’s why we have Brewer.

It’s really going to suck watching him shoot three’s for the Warriors.

Marco went with an all black suit, jacket, tie combo tonight; looks like he may have ties to the Mob. Maybe Oakland and the bay areas Little Italy were the right place for him to go.

By the way, Marco’s girlfriend, wife, mom; whatever is really hot, Nick Young’s companion now has some competition.

7:19 – Lakers on the clock and they take Javaris Crittendon. That was a big "SCREW YOU" to Kobe. Can’t wait until he updates his site and talks about the draft. http://www.kb24.com/

By the way, I’ve decided to stop following what Jay and crew are saying; I’ll just pipe in if it’s something worth while.

7:24 – Miami takes Jason Smith from Colorado. Being here in Utah I’ve got to see him as he has taken on BYU or the U. I was never really impressed with his game, always seemed a little slow to me and not much of a presence on defense.

Bilas thinks he didn’t win as much as he should have. Agreed…

7:29 – Philly pick number two, and they select Daequan Cook from Ohio State. Where he learned how to be a man as well as "everything", well as long as he took classes with Mike Conley and Greg Oden. Hold the phone we have a proposed trade. Miami and Philly are swapping picks.

Why does this happen. If Miami really wanted Daequan why not just take him?
That was quite the trade there.

7:34 – Charlottes number two pick – they select Jared Dudley out of Boston College. I have nothing to add on Dudley the guys at ESPN were pretty blah about him too, well besides Dickie V. I’m tired of Dickie already; he has too high of a motor for me.

7:37 – New York is on the clock; projections are that Isiah will take Wilson Chandler, all mocks say he will; and every analyst has said that promises have already been made.

Hey look everyone its Spike Lee, and now let’s go to our sideline reporter who is with Spike Lee:

“Isiah knows what he is doing” – Are you sure about that Spike?

Who are the Knicks picking?

“I heard the brother from DePaul.”

Does Isiah confer with you before he makes his selections? Awkward silence, Spike squirming…

“He has my number…” - Giddy laughter.

Are you kidding me? Isiah is freaking talking with Spike Lee about who they should pick. Well at least now we know who to blame for the Knicks mess. On the flip side I’m sure all of Spike’s picks have worked really well in his fantasy league.

7:38 – Wilson Chandler enough said.

7:44 – Phoenix is on deck; Utah Jazz fans collectively hold their breath and hope that Phoenix doesn’t do anything to screw up our pick. Wait there’s a deal to report.
Could it be the KG deal? Oh man this could be enormous… Can you imagine Phoenix with KG? If this happens, Phoenix or San Antonio are winning every year until Durant gets a decent point guard.

Phoenix has sold the rights to the #24 pick to Portland for cash. Ric Bucher reporting that Paul Allen is just screwing with everybody at this point, and trying to get as many picks as possible. Whew. Well looks like tonight is going to end with all talk and no action. A lot of my dates ended that way.

Ric also reporting that Portland wants Rudy Fernandez at this pick. The poor Spanish kid who has about a one million dollar buyout if he every want to play in the NBA.

“Hey Rudy, say hi to Fran Vazquez while you are there.”

7:49 – Waiting on the Jazz pick. I’m thinking that they will take Morris Almond with this pick; however I have heard good things about Tiago Splitter. They could stash Tiago for another year and see what the team does with the playoff experience and if things don’t work out could try blowing up the team next summer, meaning keeping Deron, Boozer, and Milsap with the potential of moving anybody else.

I’m eager with anticipation and am in pain that I am not at the ESA right now. I want to bere there when Kevin O’Connor comes out of the cave and asks who we want him to select.

Right now I just pray that we don’t select Nick Fazekas; he’s still on the board, and Jazz like one dimensional, tall, white, slow, centers. This is not good; I’m starting to feel nauseous, please just get this pick over with.

The Jazz select Morris Almond out of Rice let the jokes about nuts begin.

7:51 – Steven A. Smith sucks. Makes a comment on how we need to replace Memo because he didn’t show up during the playoffs; either did your Knicks Steven; but you still think Isiah is a genius!!!

For you keeping track at home, EPSN has just informed us that was the 5th straight year the Jazz have selected a guard in the draft. The whole Deron pick threw them off otherwise they could have said the 5th straight year drafting a two guard. The only one that I miss is Sasha.

I think his game improved a lot this year, and thought he did pretty well on defense. Not sure if he will ever be a superstar; but he may have helped in the playoffs.

By the way, if ESPN did a little more research they would realize that Almond was the 20th two guard that the Jazz have had since Jeff Hornacek left. Doesn’t that want to make you vomit a little?

Right now ESPN is showing some highlights of Morris; he looks like he can score pretty well; but he looks really slow. Not sure if it’s just these highlights or not. I am really nervous to say the least. I’m not sold that he is going to be our answer. I guess if we need offence Morris plays, if we need defense we go with Brewer.

Jay Bilas just broke down Almond by saying “Not the greatest athlete, not the greatest defender”. I think I may want to cry.

7:52 – Just realize that we now have five players that can play the 2, technically four if you assume that CJ is really gone. But I’m sure we will resign him. What are we going to do with them?

I now have rekindled hope that we will use Gordan’s expiring contract and add another piece tonight. Crossing Fingers now.

7:59 – Houston is up to bat, and drafts a point guard that I know nothing about and haven’t heard about during this draft. Never a good sign. I’m spacing out while talking with the crew and analyzing our pick.

8:04 – Detroit is up with their second pick of the night, and they select Aaron Afflalo out of UCLA. I considered him as a possible selection that I wanted; but I think he has peaked or is close to peaking as a player.

He is supposed to be a good defender, but I’m not sure that I would prefer him over Almond. I know that UCLA has a great program; but good programs don’t necessarily produce great players.

8:09 – San Antonio takes Tiago Splitter the other player that I secretly hoped the Jazz would have taken. I think Tiago has a lot of upside.

We learn that San Antonio is going to likely store him overseas for a little while. DUH. Apparently their last four picks they have done that with; I think they will have very little drop off when Duncan and the older crew leave. They will have trouble replacing Duncan; but by then I think Parker will be a legitimate force in the league. On top of that they will have all these Euros that have played a lot of ball.

8:14 – Phoenix decides to keep this pick and they select Alando Tucker. At this point, I am mentally checking out. I have another thirty picks to go; and don’t really care who Phoenix takes right now. Especially when it duplicates a position they already have.

8:19 – Last pick in the first round as well as Philly’s last pick in the first round. They take a Finish point guard; who brought the biggest entourage of the night. Way to go Finland!!!

I have lost the will to live here in the second round. We are closing in on the Jazz pick at number fifty-five. Larry Miller had hinted that O’Connor had a player that he was targeting in the second round that he thought would be available in the 40s; and if he was they had a trading partner to deal with that would allow them to move up 15 places or so.

Pick number forty happened a long time ago, and still no news about the Jazz trading up to get anyone.

At number 55 the Utah Jazz select Herbert Hill. I’m actually pretty excited about this guy, I’ve heard a little bit about him; and according to Jay Bilas’ account of best players available still said he was the 6th best person still available with five picks to go. How does that make the rest of you feel?

The second round had a lot of names I have never heard of; maybe the Jazz get another Milsap with this Hill guy only time will tell.

One thing that does remain we are only two weeks away from getting to see Morris Almond in a Jazz jersey at the Rocky Mountain Review.

I’ll be back next week with my report card on the draft. I need to review everything that shook out, including the Bobcat for Jason Richardson trade, and how Steven A. Smith revived himself from the dead; only to kill himself over this pick.

Until Then….

PS. Woke up this morning and read the paper and realized that a trade had gone through and that we picked up Kyrylo Fesenko for Hill. This is awesome! They showed some highlights of this kid when Philly picked him at 38; and I was hoping that was where the trade was going to happen; but never heard anything.

This kid looks great. I know that JazzFanz.com forum had talked about this kid a little and seemed like he would be a good person to take a risk on.
Apparently ESPNs Chad Ford Agrees.
8 (38)
Philadelphia (from New York through Chicago; Traded to Utah)
Kyrylo Fesenko
7-1
270
PF
Ukraine
He's an athletic big man who has dominated in the Ukraine. Could be one of those international steals down the road. At this point, it's worth the risk.

I may be more excited now about the draft then when I went to bed. This is a good insurance policy if we are unable to sign Memo to another deal when his contract is up.

Hope you all enjoyed this. I’m out of here, need to go check out what the rest of the world thought about the draft.

No comments: